When you build a new home or spend the money to get a fresh paint system put on your home’s façade, the results are immediate: your house glows with a charm that’s unmatched by those around it! New exterior paint is hard to beat in terms of its restorative benefits and the difference between a fresh exterior painting in New London, CT and one that’s getting on in years is blatant.
But, time makes fools of us all and eventually, even the freshest coat of paint is going to start to show signs of wear and tear. Why? Because like your home’s roofing or windows, its siding and the paint system applied to it are going to bear the brunt of the elements day in and day out, which will eventually take a toll. Take a look at some of the most common detractors to your home’s exterior paint system:
- Sunlight: Much like overexposure to direct sunlight is bad for your skin and your health, years of UV rays bombarding your home’s paint is going to leave it looking tattered and worn. UV light literally breaks down paint at a molecular level, causing it to peel, crack, chip and fade. Today’s modern paints are formulated to stand strong against the sun, but even these will need to be refinished after years of sunlight abuse.
- Dirt and dust: Wind is going to blow strong against your home at some point in time and each time it does, it’s going to plaster dirt and dust particles across your façade. Not only do these diminish the gleam of your home, they can accumulate over time to destroy the paint system. Organic matter detracts from the composition of the paint and leaves it lackluster, even when the dirt, dust and debris have been cleaned off.
- Improper care: Failing to maintain your home’s paint system or worse, maintaining it the wrong way, is going to lead to damage over time. For example, not having your home soft washed annually can leave buildups to fester on your siding, detracting from the paint. It’s best to always hire a professional to clean your home, to make sure you’re not taking a detrimental approach—for example, power washing too heavily or with improper technique can actually strip paint off.
- Rain, sleet and snow: Precipitation is going to take a toll on your home’s exterior paint in that it invites erosion of the façade itself. The sound of raindrops pattering against your siding might sound nice, but over time, it’s your paint system that’s going to suffer. Erosion is properly stopped with a good sealant and proper priming, however!
- Poor painting technique: If your last paint system was applied by someone without a superior level of expertise, it’s likely not going to last as long as you expect it to. Never trust the cheap painter or try and do it yourself: instead, hire a master when you need exterior painting in New London, CT.
If you’re ever wondering why your home’s paint doesn’t look as good as it once did, consider the factors above. And, if the time has come to breathe some new life into your home’s façade, it’s best to contact Berk’s Fine Painting LLC to make sure you’re getting the best paint job possible